Thursday, October 11, 2007

Six Does Not Go Into Eight.

Not evenly.

"Three deuces"-three two barrel carburetors-works great on some engines:those with, say, six or twelve cylinders. On an eight cylinder engine, it just does not work very well. But never try to tell any of the muscle car boys that. They have no concept of physics, but they know three deuces was the hot setup way back when, and that settles that.

Of course, nowadays it's an otiose argument, because everyone has fuel injection. Even on old cars, most that are not stone stock show cars have some kind of electronic fuel injection. I've seen GM TBI setups cobbled onto International Harvester Scouts and slant six Mopars even. But still, the three deuces myth lives.

It didn't work very well then, except at wide open throttle. Back then that was all they cared about-the stoplight my-dick-is-bigger duel. They didn't care about part throttle economy and they didn't care that the throttle response was uneven and that if they weren't running a lot of raw gas out the tailpipe, they would eat valves under sustained high power operation. There was little high power sustained operation unless you lived in Nevada or Montana, or were pulling a trailer up hills, and then all bets were off anyway without closed loop electronic control or a manual method of leaning and EGT probes, like a flight engineer on a DC-7 over the ocean.

But now we do have closed loop electronic control, and a good thing too. I can't imagine running a carburetor anymore, and that's why the carbs on my project are going on eBay before I get my final setup done. I want to make sure I don't punk out and do the easy thing. I'm tired of pissing with carbs.

No comments: